Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Microwave Fresh Corn = No Silks! No Kidding!

Yes, it’s true. Microwaving corn can remove the silks for you! Sounds crazy, but it’s true. My dad just read about this tip and shared it with me and I’ll never cook fresh corn on the cobb the same way. It will change your life! So here’s your tip of the day......
Take a fresh ear of corn and do nothing to it. I mean it, don’t shuck it, don’t cut off the end, don’t pull the strange hair off of the end, just place the entire ear (husks and all) into the microwave. Microwave at least 4 minutes per ear of corn. I found that less is not enough, but 4 per ear is perfect. You might like yours softer, so add another minute or so if you’d like.
When the ears have cooked, remove from microwave and cut off about an inch from the bottom.
Start squeezing the ear from of the top so it slides through the opening and you will find the cleanest, prettiest, best tasting ear of corn you’ve ever eaten! How cool is that?? I was a bit skeptical when my dad first told me about it, but I tried it and now I’m hooked! My husband says he’s going to buy a bushel of corn this weekend! Well, he might be overstating just a bit. Maybe we’ll buy a few more ears and cook it this way again.
So easy! Try it and let me know if you like it.

2 comments:

  1. I made it...it was great. I cut up into little coins and tossed in butter, salt, pepper, and a little cayene...bit hit at the party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of cutting them up into coins for a picnic or cookout. Thanks for the tip and glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete